Thursday, September 30, 2010

Anti-depressants

Whenever a patient takes anti-depressants, there is always the risk that the medication will backfire. Five weeks ago, I began 100mg of Zoloft (I had been on 50mg for about six months and it wasn't working well enough). About two weeks ago, the 100mg started kicking in and my depression increased and increased. All I have been doing is lying in bed staring off all day. I was starting to get extremely scared... I just felt so empty and desolate. It was horrifying.

I saw my neurologist last night and he feels that the anti-depressant backfired. To fight this, I was removed from the Zoloft and I was put on 50mg of Pristiq. We are really hoping that this will help... But there is always the chance that this will backfire too. This is the third or fourth anti-depressant that I have tried, so it could be worse, but I am really praying that this will begin helping...

Has anyone else gone through this? How did you deal with the depression when it got extremely bleak?

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I know you're really battling it right now. I'm so sorry. Depression can be one of the toughest symptoms because if you don't feel like doing anything, you don't! And that doesn't help the depression. At least you're trying. I "assume" you've tried some exercise (whatever you can safely do), 5-htp (hydroxytryptophan), St. John's wort and/or maybe adjusting your diet, too?

    ReplyDelete